Wednesday 16 April 2014

Steamed Mussels

I was watching my local morning show, Breakfast Television, this morning and their live eye, Jennifer Valentyne was at our local fish market, giving away mussels. I couldn't resist free mussels…so I called my sister Sandra. She lives just down the street from the market and could pick them up and drop them off to me on the way to work.
I don't cook fish and seafood as often as I would like because John is not a fan but I forgot how much I love mussels. They are so easy and quick to make. The only thing missing tonight was a loaf of crusty bread, to sop up all the flavourful liquor the mussels give off.

I'm definitely making these for Good Friday again.


 Steamed Mussels with Vermouth 

2 lbs. mussels, scrubbed, beards removed and rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ghee or butter
1 leek, white part only, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/3 cup dry vermouth
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Heat a pot, big enough to hold the mussels and with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté a few more minutes. Pour in the vermouth and bring to a boil. Drop in the mussels in and cover with a lid. They should take about 7 minutes to cook. They are ready when the mussels open. Discard the ones that don't open. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve hot with crusty bread, if you have.

No comments :

Post a Comment