Monday 24 March 2014

The Winter That Broke My Husband

I'm calling this the winter that broke my husband because he, along with a lot of other people, has had enough of winter. The only difference is, prior to moving to Canada when we got married, he lived in sunny Florida. And up until this year, he never complained or understood how every winter we Canadians complained about how long and cold it was. His thinking regarding winter was, it's here, get used to it, get over it!

This year changed all that!  He wants to move back to Florida. I just have to say the word and we would be outta here! Of course I can't leave and he knows that but he keeps trying. Instead of golfing everyday this winter, poor guy has been shovelling snow. Officially, he is a Canadian!!!...no, really. He got his citizenship this past fall.

So in honour of my husband, John, I wanted to make something that reminded him of Florida. What better recipe than an American classic, Key Lime pie?!

Key limes are smaller and sweeter than the Persian limes that are found more often in the grocery stores but you can substitute with them.

After doing some research, I found there were two types of Key Lime pie recipes, condensed milk and non condensed milk versions. And "conchs" as Key West locals are called, call the condensed milk version the official version. Why? Because up until the opening of the Overseas Highway through the Keys in 1930, there was no refrigeration and they had to rely on canned condensed milk.

Another controversy is, meringue or whipped cream. I couldn't find the answer to that so I asked my husband what he preferred and he said whipped cream. But alas, just as I was about to serve it, I forgot to whip the cream and decided to serve it naked. Which I have to say turned out for the best because I found the pie rich enough on it's own.


Key Lime Pie
(a Martha Stewart recipe) 

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled
3 tablespoons sugar
1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup freshly squeezed Key lime juice (approximately 15-18 Key limes)
Key lime zest, to garnish
Whipped cream, to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a bowl, combine graham crackers crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into a 9 inch pie plate or springform pan (that's what I used). Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
Lower oven temperature to 325F.
In a bowl, gently whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks and Key lime juice. Pour into the cooled crust and bake for 15-17, until the centre sets. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Before serving, garnish with zest and optional whipped cream.


m xo







No comments :

Post a Comment