Sunday 2 February 2014

Nigella's Sambuca Kisses

I haven't had a chance to be in the the kitchen for the past few days. I've been under the weather. Nothing serious, just a really bad sinus infection, but I woke up Super Bowl Sunday feeling a little better after being in bed 3 days  and wanted to make a little something to bring to my sister who lives next door. One of the perks of living next door to my sister Antonella is that I can call over and she sends me care packages like turkey soup or blueberry muffins. She's always cooking and baking up a storm because she has 3 kids.
I've been wanting to make these fritters since I saw Nigella make them on her show. They are from her cookbook, Nigellissima. They are super easy to make and take no effort at all.
Not exactly Super Bowl fare but a very nice snack to go with my afternoon espresso.
I had to make these twice because my husband made the mistake of buying reduced fat ricotta. No bueno! They weren't as fluffy and had no taste in my opinion. Poor guy had to go out again for ricotta.



 Sambuca Kisses
(from Nigella Lawson's "Nigellissima" cookbook)

1 egg
1/2 cup full fat ricotta
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sambuca liqueur
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
vegetable or canola oil for frying
powdered sugar to serve

In a bowl mix together egg and ricotta. Add flour, baking powder, sambuca, sugar and orange zest. Beat until combined. Nigella says to heat oil until you drop a little piece of bread in and it frizzles.. You only need a couple inches of oil. Drop in teaspoon sizes of batter. No more than 4-5 at a time and you want to keep an eye on them so the oil doesn't get too hot. They are ready when they are golden. Drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when ready to serve. These are best served warm. So good.





m xo




No comments :

Post a Comment