Monday 6 January 2014

Roasted Chicken with Clementines and Sambuca



Of course like many people, I gained a couple pounds this holiday season so I'm trying to reign it in the next few weeks so it doesn't get out of control. And I'm always looking for recipes that don't sacrifice flavour.

This is a lovely recipe!  Roasted chicken with caramelized fennel and a hint of anise.  It originally called for Arak, a Middle Eastern anise flavoured spirit but I didn't have any so I subbed Sambuca. I marinated my chicken overnight but I'm sure it would be just as good if you are pressed for time. Next time though, I would add a couple more bulbs of fennel because we couldn't get enough of it. My husband and I were fighting over it!

Roasted Chicken with Clementines and Sambuca
(adapted from Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi)

6 1/2 tablespoons Sambuca
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
3 tablespoons light brown sugar


2 medium fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
2 1/2-3 lbs chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
4 clementines, unpeeled and sliced
1 tablespoons thyme
2 1/2teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed
Salt and pepper
Parsley, chopped

Put the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and add 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper.Whisk.
Add the fennel wedges, chicken pieces, clementine slices, thyme and fennel seeds. Coat the chicken well and marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 475°F.
Transfer chicken and marinade to a roasting pan in a single layer with fennel and clementines at the bottom with skin side up. Roast for 35-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.Sprinkle with parsley and serve.


m xo

No comments :

Post a Comment